Fires & Burns
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of your home near every bedroom. Test detectors every month and change their batteries every year. Never disable smoke detectors.
- Develop a family escape plan.
- Keep matches, lighters, and candles out of children’s reach. Never smoke in bed- it is the leading cause of fire-related deaths.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from fireplaces, heaters, and radiators. Replace frayed electrical wires.
- Take care to avoid kitchen fires and burns. Stay in the kitchen while cooking. Turn pot handles toward the inside of the stove so children cannot grab them. – Install ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Set water-heater thermostats below 120 degrees F (50 degrees C). Always test the water before bathing yourself or your child.