What You Need to Know About Poison
- Read warning labels and follow storage directions on household products.
- Poisonous products can include medicines, cleaning supplies, hair spray, and home repair materials.
- Keep poisonous products out of children?s sight and reach on high shelves. Install child-proof latches on cabinets that do not have locks.
- Store food and non-food products separately to prevent confusion and protect your family from container contamination and toxic spills.
- Always choose non-toxic alternatives when possible and use products with child-resistant caps.
- Never mix cleaning products together; they may produce dangerous fumes (ammonia and bleach should never be mixed).
- Install Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors in your home.
- Flush expired medicines down the toilet rather than throwing them in the garbage.
- If it is necessary to use harsh chemicals, use them when children are not at home, or at least are in a different room. Always wear gloves when handling products that could be toxic and follow all manufacturers? instructions.